Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Once upon a writer

This next series of poems are 16 years old. Written in approximately 1993, I offer these for contrast and curiosity

Beautiful woman outside


You'll be left in a moment
with only the memory of pleasure
and yet we plunge headlong off the ledge, we leap
off the edge of a dark and bottomless crevice
without a fleeting thought of where it leads
a brief blissful moment, infinite and boundless
it has no end
It's divine beauty, blaring non-linear art
the feel of a passionate kiss
and touch of a desperate hand

cathedral


Housed in a great cathedral
a cathedral that stands against all demands
it fall
perfectly unattractive, yet exceedingly beautiful
grandeur in its wrapped serenity
faithless and fraught
yet standing in the persuasive grade of god
following its own shepherd
beside it's own still waters

candles


Can you see it over there?
that little flicker, that little flair
a dim light in the dark
a little flame, a tiny spark
over there my cup is brewing
and I am making her obscure
with all the seedy things I'm doing
to her body
in the dark
one burnt down candle here is glowing
throwing light unto her face
what an expression she's revealing
shades of shadows
surrounding us in nights concealing
Are you watching? Can you hear?
Can you see it over there?
that little flicker, that little flair
a dim light in the dark
a little flame, a tiny spark

atavism and sadness


The soul outlives the shell it's in
the body return to the dirt from which it came
and the world keeps spinning
around and around
all of its inhabitants
bustling and hell bound

want


All I want
just one unhampered breath
one mouthful of infant air
one cigarette
one smile with no prerequisite
one soul to give and bear
one love that doesn't ache
one word that will not wear
one gift that doesn't take

I'm all I'm looking for
and I've seen that face before
It's fucked and insecure
I refuse to listen
to hear anymore

All I need
just one day with myself, at peace
one hand that doesn't harm
one time that brow, without its crease
one voice of real concern
one place I know, and feel I'm safe
time to teach them all to learn
one gentle touch that doesn't burn

I'm all I'm looking for
and I've seen that face before
It's fucked and insecure
I refuse to listen
to hear anymore

nuances


I like those games you play, but can you really play them?
You seem to think you can
I like those words you say, but do you understand them?
you seem to think you do
but thoughts can be deceiving, and words can be misleading
I like that air you flaunt, and I like those looks you toss
I like that fire you have, but do you have it?
you really think you do
you act so worldly, but have you seen the world?
you act as if you've seen it, but anyone can act
if indeed you are, you do it damn well
you hide your nuances well, but you seem to want to reveal them
do you want to reveal them? how revel can you get?
do you like to play with fire? you seem to think you do
but can you really burn?
maybe your just a little spark
maybe not
you say that you can dance, well let's dance
you seem to keep the pace, can you keep the pace?
you really think you can
but your dancing with the devil and the chances get real high
and careful don't believe what he tells you
the devil likes to lie
can you lie with the devil? will you make it through the night?
you really think you will, but your will might break tonight
and the devil loves a fight
you think that you can take it, you'd better hope you're right
there is no turning back, and this is bound to last all night

breath


for a cup of coffee
or a sip of tea
a last gasping breath
your dying fucking creed
it's over my friend
but death's nice harmony

underground


never flowing with mainstream society
never flowing with anything
not a part of the continuous harmony
but quite the integral part of discord not understood
not overwhelmed by any tragedy
just overwhelmed by everything
against ethereal nothings, there's more guile in clouds and rain
never a part of anything, except the greater scheme of things
preferring just to live at random
oh the beauty of reckless abandon
up from the underground, out from beneath the veil
a flash of lightning, and a storm of hail

meteor


she dances like a meteor
brilliant in the night
and everyone sees her
dance across the sky
look fast young friends
look fast and catch a glimpse
her image won't last long
look fast and catch a glimpse young friends
too soon now
she'll be gone

eternally


my hearts love always burning
you'd think the flames would die
when all is burnt away
lack hasn't doused the flames
the fire still burns
where my heart did lie


No comments:

Bookmark and Share